Generic Names: (Levodopa and Carbidopa)
Levodopa is transformed into a chemical known as dopamine inside the brain. Indications of Parkinson’s syndrome might be sourced by a stumpy level of dopamine within one’s brain.
Carbidopa aids in preventing breakdown of Levodopa ahead of it being able to reach till the brain where it can take effect.
A blend of Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa) is made use of to take care of Parkinson symptoms for instance stiffness in the muscles, spasms, tremors, and reduced control over muscles. This drug is also made use of to take care of Parkinson symptoms sourced by manganese intoxication or carbon monoxide toxicity.
Vital Information In Relation To Sinemet:
If you’re already using Levodopa, you should discontinue using it a minimum of 12 hours ahead of you using Sinemet. Discuss with your health care practioner if the symptoms you are facing don’t get better after some weeks of you undergoing treatment. Furthermore, inform your health care practioner in case the results of this prescription seem to weaken quickly in the middle of doses. Don’t chew, crush, or split a Sinemet CR extended-release pill. Gulp down the tablet in one piece. This prescription might make you to doze off for the duration of your regular daytime activities for example speaking, eating, working, or driving. One might fall asleep all of a sudden, even subsequent to feeling on the alert. Inform your health care practioner in case you face any troubles with daytime lethargy or sleepiness.
You might have a strange urge to gamble, greater than before sexual urges or additional powerful urges at the time you are using this drug. Speak with your health care practioner in case you think you have some forceful or strange urges at the time you are using Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa).
Ahead Of Using Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa):
Don’t take Sinemet in case you have taken any MAO inhibitors for instance tranylcypromine (Parnate), phenelzine (Nardil), or isocarboxazid (Marplan), within the last 14 days. Grave, life-threatening Sinemet side effects can come about if you use Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa) ahead of the MAO inhibitor clearing from the body.
A person should not use this medicine if he/she is sensitive to Levodopa (Larodopa) or Carbidopa (Lodosyn), or if he/she has:
- Strange skin wounds that haven’t been looked at by a health care practioner; or
- Narrow-angle glaucoma;
- Any record of skin cancer or malignant melanoma.
In case you face any of the below mentioned conditions, you might need a prescribed amount alteration or particular tests:
- Heart ailment, coronary artery ailment, lofty blood pressure, any prior heart attacks or a heart pace disorder;
- Kidney or liver ailment;
- Asthma, any other breathing disarray or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD;
- Any endocrine (hormonal) sickness;
- Any intestinal or stomach ulcers;
- Depression or any other psychological illness
- Wide-angle glaucoma.
A number of people using treatment for the Parkinson’s illness have build up skin cancer (also commonly known as melanoma). Nevertheless, individuals with Parkinson’s syndrome might have a superior threat than the majority individuals for building up melanoma. Speak to your health care practioner regarding your particular risks and the skin symptoms that you should watch out for. You might need to get skin examinations and tests done on a regular basis.
It’s not acknowledged whether or not Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa) will cause harm to an unborn child. Inform your health care practioner if you’re pregnant or are planning for a pregnancy while taking this drug. Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa) might pass into a nursing mother’s breast milk and might cause harm to a nursing newborn. Don’t use this prescription without notifying your health care practioner if you’re breast-feeding your newborn.
Disintegrating tablets (for example Parcopa) might include phenylalanine. Speak to your health care practioner ahead of using this variety of Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa) in case you suffer from phenylketonuria (PKU).
How to Use Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa)?
In case you’re already using Levodopa (Dopar, Larodopa), you should stop using it a minimum of 12 hours prior to you using Levodopa and Carbidopa.
Use Sinemet unerringly as approved by your health care practioner. Don’t take in bigger or lesser amounts or even for longer duration than what is recommended to you by your health care practioner. Follow the instructions on your treatment label.
Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa) can be used with food or without it. Use your prescribed amount at regular interval to maintain a stable quantity of the medicine in the body constantly.
Don’t chew, crush, or split a Sinemet extended-release pill. Gulp down the tablet in one piece. Opening or splitting the tablet might cause a lot of the medicine to be freed at once.
The normal pill can be crushed or split, if need be, so that it is easier to gulp down.
To use the oral disintegrating tablets (Parcopa):
- Store the pill in the blister packaging until you’re ready to use the pills. Open the wrapping and peel the foil away from the pill blister. Don’t push tablets out through the foil as this might break the tablets.
- Use dry hands to remove the pill and then place into your mouth. The pill will start to dissolve in your mouth right away.
- Don’t swallow the pill in one piece. Let it to melt inside your mouth and don’t chew it. Gulp quite a few times and allow the pill to dissolve.
Stock up away from light, heat and moisture. Keep at room temperatures.
What Will Happen If You Fail To Spot And Leave Out A Dosage?
Consume the dose (that you have missed out on) the moment you remember. (Make sure to use the medication along with food in case your health care practioner has directed you to do so). Leave out the dose that you have missed o if out on if it’s roughly time for the next planned prescribed amount. Don’t use extra medication to make up for the dose that you earlier missed out on.
What Will Happen If You Consume An Overdose of Sinemet?
Under such a situation, it is recommended that you immediately call the Help Line or seek immediate emergency health attention. You might have indications of irregular heart rate.
What Are The Things To Steer Clear Of When Using Sinemet (Levodopa And Carbidopa)?
Steer clear of using iron add-ons or consuming a diet program that has a high protein percentage (protein source includes cheese, eggs and meat). These might make it tougher for the body to absorb and digest Levodopa and Carbidopa. Speak with your health care practioner or nutrition counselor regarding the best food to consume while you’re using this prescription.
If you’re not sure about how this drug will influence you, be cautious if you are to drive or if you are doing something that needs you to be wide awake and on the alert.
Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa) Side Effects for the User:
- Stuffy nose, sneezing, cough, or further cold symptoms;
- Lack of sensation or stinging feeling;
- Dryness of the mouth;
- Loss in appetite;
- Greater than before sweating;
- Unsettled stomach;
- Taste changes;
- Difficulty sleeping;
- Urinary tract infections.
Severe allergic reaction like:
- Trouble swallowing or breathing;
- Puffiness of the face, lips, mouth, or tongue;
- Tension in your chest;
- Tarry, black stools;
- Vomiting blood;
- Chest soreness;
- Swift or unbalanced heartbeats;
- Mood or mental changes;
- Muscle soreness or strange stiffness;
- Increased or new involuntary movements;
- Harsh abdominal throbbing;
- Harsh lightheadedness or sensation that you might pass out;
- Sore throat;
- Feelings of suicide or hurting yourself;
- Mysterious fever or excessive sweating;
- Odd bruising or blood loss;
- Odd or excruciating movements or seizure of the eyelids, mouth, face, tongue, arms, legs, or hands;
- Changes in vision (double or hazy vision);
- Worsening of shivering (uncontrolled shaking);
- Seizures or spasms;
- Sore or difficulty in urination;
- Fluttering in chest
- Heavy feeling and severe pain going till the shoulder and arms;
- Jaundice (yellowing in eyes and skin).
You might observe that your urine, sweat, or saliva appear dark colored, for instance brown, black or red. This isn’t a damaging side effect of Sinemet, but it might cause stains on your linen or clothes.
What Are The Other Drugs That Will Have An Effect On Sinemet (Levodopa and Carbidopa)?
Inform or notify your health care practioner on the subject of all additional medications that you are taking, in particular:
- Metoclopramide (Reglan);
- Any Parkinson’s medication;
- Phenytoin (Dilantin);
- Isoniazid (Nydrazid);
- Blood pressure prescription;
- Papaverine (Pavagen, Pavacot, Pavabid, Papacon);
- Any medicines to take care of a psychiatric disorder, for example haloperidol (Haldol), chlorpromazine (Thorazine), risperidone (Risperdal), prochlorperazine (Compazine), and others;
- Any antidepressant for example doxepin (Sinequan), amitriptyline (Vanatrip, Elavil), nortriptyline (Pamelor), etc.
Stock up Sinemet at room temperatures between 59 to 86oF. Keep Sinemet inside a firmly closed bottle away from extreme heat, light and moisture. Appropriately discard this drug when it expires or is no longer desired. Check with your pharmacist or the local waste clearance company for additional details on the subject of how to securely discard your medications. Levodopa might turn into a darker shade when not appropriately stored. In case this happens, it might not function properly and might have to be disposed of and replaced. Discuss with your pharmacist for further information regarding what is to be done if the drug changes color. Don’t keep in the restroom. Store all medication away from kids and pets. Don’t flush medicines in the toilet and don’t dispense them in drains unless you have been asked to do so.