Side Effects of Sertraline:
- Decrease in sexual ability or desire;
- Dryness of mouth;
- Excessive sweating;
- Loss in appetite;
- Upset stomach;
- Difficulty sleeping;
- Loss in weight.
Severe allergic reaction like:
- Trouble breathing;
- Tension in chest;
- Puffiness of the face, mouth, tongue or lips;
- Strange behavior;
- Bloody or black stools;
- Chest ache;
- Decrease in bladder control;
- Decrease in concentration;
- Decrease in coordination;
- Exaggerated reflexes;
- Hasty or unbalanced heartbeat;
- Loss of memory;
- Any new or aggravated agitation,
- fright attacks,
- Worsening sense of well-being,
- Incapability to sit motionless
- Unrelenting or harsh ringing in ears;
- Unrelenting, aching erection;
- Swollen, red, scalded, or flaking skin;
- Unrelenting or harsh anxiety or problem sleeping;
- unrelenting or harsh headaches;
- Stomach ache;
- Suicidal feelings or attempts;
- Strange bruising or blood loss;
- strange or harsh psychological or mood change;
- Strange weakness;
- Vision change;
- Excessive depression.
Sertraline belongs to a collection of drugs known as SSRIs or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and is an antidepressant. Sertraline influences chemicals present inside a person’s brain that might grow to be unstable and thereby cause despair, panic, fretfulness, or obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms.
Sertraline is made use of to cure obsessive-compulsive disorders, depression, panic disorders, anxiety disorders, premenstrual dysphoric disorders (PMDD) and post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD).
Sertraline works by reinstating the equilibrium of serotonin, which is a natural compound in the brain that helps to perk up certain mood evils.
Vital Information Regarding Sertraline:
Don’t use sertraline accompanied by pimozide (Orap), or any MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor) for instance tranylcypromine (Parnate), phenelzine (Nardil), isocarboxazid (Marplan), selegiline (Emsam, Eldepryl), or rasagiline (Azilect). You ought to wait for as a minimum 14 days once you have stopped to use an MAOI ahead of to use sertraline. Once you discontinue using sertraline, you have to wait as a minimum of 14 days earlier than you begin to take an MAOI.
A patient might have feelings about suicide once you first begin to use any antidepressant, particularly if you’re less than 24 years in age. Sertraline is an FDA-permitted for kids with any OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorders). It’s not accepted for curing depression in kids. Your health care provider will have to examine you at standard visits the initial 12 weeks of cure at least.
Get in touch with your health care provider at once in case you have some new or aggravated symptoms when you take sertraline for instance: behavior or mood changes, fretfulness, fright attacks, difficulty sleeping, or in case you suffer impulsiveness, irritability, agitation, hostility, aggressiveness, restlessness, hyperactive (psychologically or physically), further depression, or have feelings of hurting yourself or about suicide.
SSRI antidepressants might cause life-threatening and severe lung troubles in newborn children in cases where the mothers took the drug at some stage in their pregnancy. Nonetheless, you might have a setback of depression in case you discontinue taking the antidepressant for the period of pregnancy. In case you’re planning on a pregnancy, or in case you turn out to be pregnant at the same time as you are using sertraline, don’t discontinue taking the medicine without talking first to your health care provider.
Prior To Consuming Sertraline:
A number of medical conditions might intermingle with Sertraline. Inform your health care provider or pharmacist in case you face any health conditions, in particular if some of the subsequent pertain to you:
- In case you’re pregnant, are breast-feeding or planning for a pregnancy;
- In case you’re to take any nonprescription or prescription medicines, herbal preparations, or dietary supplements;
- In case you are sensitive to any foods, medicines, or additional substances;
- In case any family member or you has a record of bipolar disorders (manic-depression), suicidal feelings or attempts, other psychological or mood evils, or substance and/or alcohol abuse;
- In case you’ve had a record of metabolism problems, heart problems, seizures, liver ailment, or bowel or stomach bleeding;
- In case you’re dehydrated, drink alcohol, have stumpy blood sodium level;
- In case you’ll be having ECT (electroconvulsive therapy).
A number of medications may perhaps intermingle with Sertraline. Inform your health care provider in case you’re to take any additional medicines, in particular any out of the subsequent:
- Anticoagulants (e.g., warfarin), or nsaids (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) e.g., ibuprofen, or aspirin, due to the peril of blood loss, as well as stomach hemorrhage, may be greater than before.
- Fenfluramine derivative (e.g., dexfenfluramine), Anorexiants (e.g., phentermine), metoclopramide, linezolid, maois (e.g., phenelzine), selegiline, nefazodone, sibutramine, serotonin 5-HT1 receptor agonists (for e.g., sumatriptan), trazodone or St. John’s wort, because harsh side effects, for instance any reaction that might include fever, blood pressure alteration, inflexible muscles, psychological changes, perplexity, agitation, irritability, coma, and delirium might crop up
- Tramadol as the peril of seizures might be amplified
- Diuretics (for e.g., hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide) as the threat of elevated or stumpy blood sodium level might be amplified
- Cyproheptadine or Carbamazepine as they might reduce Sertraline efficiency
- H1 antagonists (for e.g., terfenadine ,astemizole) or phenothiazines (for e.g., thioridazine ,chlorpromazine) as harsh heart problems, as well as unbalanced heartbeat, might crop up
- Clozapine, Aripiprazole, flecainide, digoxin, phenytoin, lithium, propafenone, pimozide, tricyclic antidepressants (for e.g., amitriptyline), risperidone, or valproate (for e.g., valproic acid) since the peril of the side effects might be augmented by Sertraline
This might not be an inclusive listing of every interaction that might occur. Enquire from your health care provider in case Sertraline might intermingle with further medication that you use. Confirm with your health care provider before you begin, discontinue, or alter the dosage of any medication.
Sertraline Must Not Be Taken In Case:
- You’re sensitive to any element in Sertraline
- You’re to take or have earlier taken any MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor) for e.g., phenelzine; St. John’s wort or selegiline, within the previous 14 days
- You’re to take a fenfluramine derived (for e.g., dexfenfluramine), any H1 antagonist (for e.g., terfenadine, astemizole), pimozide, nefazodone, thioridazine or sibutramine.
Get in touch with your health care provider without ado in case any of the above mentioned pertain to you.
How to Consume Sertraline:
A patient must take sertraline accurately as it’s been prescribed to him/her by his/her health care provider. Don’t take the drug in bigger amounts, or use it for a longer duration that has been recommended to you by your health care provider. Your health care provider might seldom alter your dosage to make certain you are getting the best outcome from the medicine.
Consume sertraline tablets along with water.
The drug can be consumed either with food or even without food.
One should try to consume the drug at the exact same time every day. Follow every instruction on your treatment label.
The liquid form (which is oral) of sertraline ought to be diluted prior to you drinking it. In order to be certain you obtain the accurate quantity, evaluate how much liquid is to be taken using a medicine dropper that is provided, and not with normal table spoons. Mix the measured quantity in 4 ounces of water, lime/lemon soda, ginger ale, orange juice or lemonade. Don’t take any additional liquids for diluting the medication. Mix this combination and then drink the entire liquid right away. In order to make certain whether you’re getting the entire prescribed amount, add a small amount of more water in the same tumbler, swirl lightly and swallow right away.
For a patient to feel better it might take about 4 weeks or even longer before he/she starts feeling well again. Don’t discontinue taking sertraline without talking first to your health care provider. You might have disagreeable side effects if you discontinue use of this medicine abruptly. Store this medication away from heat, moisture and store at room temperatures.
In Case You Overlook A Dosage:
Eat the dose that you have missed the instant you remember. Nevertheless, in case it’s roughly time for your subsequently scheduled dosage, leave out the dose that you have missed and consume the subsequent one as you have been directed. Don’t use any additional medicines to make up for the dose that you have missed out on.
In Case Of a Sertraline Overdose:
Individuals who use surplus of this medicine might have symptoms of an overdose that could comprise:
- Unsettled stomach,
- Hasty heartbeat,
- Convulsions, and
Things To Avoid When Taking Sertraline:
Keep away from consuming alcohol, which could add to some sertraline side effects.
Don’t use the liquid variety of sertraline in case you’ve taken disulfiram (Antabuse). Liquid sertraline might hold alcohol and you might have a harsh reaction to disulfiram.
Sertraline could root side effects which might impair your thoughts or reactions. In case you are to drive or in case you are doing something that calls for you to stay alert, it is recommended that you be extremely careful.
Inform your health care provider in case you frequently take additional medication that might make you feel sleepy (for instance allergy or cold medicines, narcotic soreness medicines, sleeping drugs, muscle relaxants, and medicines for spasms or fretfulness). They could stimulate sleepiness caused by sertraline.
Drugs That Have an Effect on Sertraline:
Speak with your health care provider before you use any medication for arthritis, pain, swelling or fever. This consists of NSAIDs for instance ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve), indomethacin, diclofenac (Voltaren), nabumetone (Relafen), piroxicam (Feldene), etodolac (Lodine), and aspirin. To take any mentioned drugs along with sertraline might cause a patient to bleed or bruise easily.
Prior to to taking sertraline, inform your health care provider in case you’re consuming any of the subsequent medication:
- Tramadol (Ultram ER, Ultram, Ultracet);
- Valproate (Depakene, Depacon), phenytoin (Dilantin);
- Digitoxin (Crystodigin);
- Any blood thinner for instance warfarin (Coumadin);
- Lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid);
- Frovatriptan (Frova), almotriptan (Axert), naratriptan (Amerge), sumatriptan (Imitrex), zolmitriptan (Zomig) or rizatriptan (Maxalt);
- Any additional antidepressant for instance citalopram (Celexa), amitriptyline (Elavil), fluoxetine (Sarafem, Prozac), escitalopram (Lexapro), imipramine (Tofranil), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), nortriptyline (Pamelor);
- Any heart rhythm drug for instance paroxetine (Paxil), flecainide (Tambocor), propafenone (Rhythmol).